Friday, May 18, 2012

causes + sign up for the color run!

Flaunt Your Cause

i can't pick just one cause, i can't. so, here are two and then a list of some others :)

1. girls on the run! this organization has programs in a ton of cities, including the dc area. 
The mission:
"We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running."
About:
"Girls on the Run® is a life-changing, experiential learning programs for girls age eight to thirteen years old. The programs combine training for a 3.1 mile running event with self-esteem enhancing, uplifting workouts. The goals of the programs are to encourage positive emotional, social, mental, spiritual and physical development."

I volunteered as a coach a few years ago, and it was an amazing experience. It was so cool to train the girls and then watch them run a 5K a few months later - IN THE SNOW! Seriously, it was snowing so hard the day of the 5K, and I can't find any pics from it, but the ones below are from the race here in November.

2. raising awarness for SMA - 
Have you read about Avery's Bucket List?
I saw links to it for the last few months and it just made me so sad, I had no idea this condition even existed, or how horrible it is. Avery passed away on April 30, but there are so many other babies and children with the condition, and not enough research is being done to find a cure.


And more:

And, the coolest thing you will read all day (related to causes too!):
Seriously, read it. It will make you happy (and maybe want to be a superhero). 


Have you heard about The Color Run? It's a 5K, you wear all white, and you're drenched in colors throughout the race. It looks so fun, and DC's two 5Ks will benefit the Children's National Medical Center. DC races are September 9th and October 21st. Sign up! :) 
Don't the pics make it look so fun? (I wonder if we can jump in the Potomac after to rinse off? Maybe?)
I have no idea how I will take a camera with and take pics...




4 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh! Krys! This is amazing! I know almost every single one of these, and they are all terrific organizations! I was so sad to hear about Avery's passing recently. I live in Houston, and her parents were on the radio just a few months ago, so that's how I learned about the blog. Also, my sister is a marathon runner, and she's been raising money for GOTR for years! Love what they do! I'm meeting more and more GOTR volunteers and coaches! So awesome! And lastly, I used to work in Entertainment at a theme park, and we got a lot of young, young kids who wanted to meet Elmo and Shamu through Make-A-Wish. My characters said they would always tear up during those visits!

    Thank you SO MUCH for linking up with Em and I for Flaunt Your Cause, or in your case, multiple causes! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wanting to sign up for the color run in Indy. I think it sounds so fun! If only I can stay motivated to run regularly & get into shape for the 3.1 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Krys,
    Thanks so much for linking up! It is really hard to pick *just one*, isn't it! There are so many worthy causes out there. How neat that you were a trainer for GOTR. I can really appreciate this cause, as our nation is facing an epidemic of diabetes & obesity. Kids need to rediscover that physical activity is FUN!

    I would love to do a color run, ever since I saw some pictures on a different blog. Hopefully there will be one in LA once I get back.

    Thanks again for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing one in San Diego on 11/3. Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete